Sister Katie Garff

Sister Katie Garff
Bolivia Cochabamba Mission

Monday, October 3, 2016

Feeling Sort of Like Ariel

Washing clothes by hand.  I just love it ;D
Hello Everyone!

This week was really great, and as usual, I learned so much! Part of that learning process was searching for the good in absolutely everything. I twisted my ankle earlier this week, and was sort of bummed that we couldn't walk as fast, but it was actually a small blessing in disguise, because it was a GREAT excuse to introduce myself and talk to three other women, all of which also had twisted ankles. God works in strange ways sometimes, huh?!
Flamingo Sheets.  One of the more unusual items on Katie's Missionary Packet Packing List
Funny moment: We meet a borracho (drunk man) on the street and he came up, introduced himself and could not seem to fathom that I was American. At our departure, he took my hand a gave it a big old, wet, alcoholic kiss. YUM;D
Marketplace in Ingavi
Cultural shock: Water is something to be cherished here! We usually only have running water for 1-2 days per week, and the other days we really have to ration, and fill up water while we can. Kind of funny, but in order to get the toilet to flush, we keep 10 liter sized jugs by the toilet so that we can drain one of them into the toilet to flush it.

Spiritual moment: I felt like Ariel in the Little Mermaid this week, because most of the time I could kind of understand the conversation, but couldn't really say anything, because my Spanish vocabulary is pretty limited. Thus, I realized that all I could do was really just show them that I loved them by listening and smiling, like Ariel, haha! This really is a blessing in disguise too though, because sometimes people just need someone to listen, even if they know that the person on the receiving end can't understand it.

The Temple in Bolivia

No comments:

Post a Comment